Art Beat 2018 - Date Set for August 18
Saturday, August 18, 2018 | 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. | Michigan St. in downtown South Bend
For one day the streets and sidewalks of downtown South Bend become a living gallery as artists, dancers, musicians, actors, poets and culinary artists display their talents for the community. Art Beat represents an opportunity for artists, merchants and community to meet in an atmosphere of celebration and camaraderie to enjoy richly diverse performances, displays and retail experiences.
Art Beat 2018 will be held on Saturday, August 18 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. primarily along Michigan Street in the heart of downtown South Bend. Art Beat "Scenes" or areas of concentrated activity (performances & vendors) will be located throughout downtown.
Congratulations to the 2017 Artist Award Recipients!
Best Booth Display - Sarah Dolezal Best in Show - Mei Mei Lam
Most Spirited - Melina Sapiano Best in Fine Arts - James Miller
Best in Culinary Arts - Purple Porch Co-op Best Newcomer - Melissa Milbourn
2017 SETUP AND LOGISTICS INFO FOR ARTISTS
2. Set up times will be staggered between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. based on booth numbers. Odd Number booths may come at 8 a.m to set up, Even Number booths may come at 9 a.m. to set up, and at 7 a.m. we will have a special "Early Bird Setup" for anyone who feels they need more than 3 hours to get their booth just right. Fine Arts Showcase participants (with lettered booth numbers) may come anytime between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. to setup.
3. We ask that all booths be set up and ready by 10:30 a.m. and cars be removed from the streets by that time as well. (Note: if an artist has not arrived to set up their booth by 10:15 we will allow artists from end booths to fill in their place so that we do not have gaps in the festival.)
4. Michigan Street will be one-way on the day of Art Beat - going north only - to help ease traffic congestion. Artists are NOT allowed to leave their vehicle by their booth during setup and teardown. For setup, cars should be parked right after being unloaded, and then booth setup may occur. For teardown, booths must be all packed up before cars are retrieved. No cars are allowed to remain by booths any longer than is needed for loading or unloading of items!
5. We expect all artists to remain open until the end of the event. This gives all visitors a consistent experience, while you receive the most exposure possible. No cars will be allowed into the event prior to 7 p.m. to ensure the safety of our guests.
6. Artists are responsible for their own tables, chairs, and tents. You are encouraged to bring a canopy or tent. A 10x10 canopy can be purchased at sporting goods or large stores (Prices range from $75 - $125).
7. In case of inclement weather, the event will be delayed 24 hours until Sunday, August 20th, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. Event organizers will make the call by 5am Saturday, August 19 and notify participants by email, Facebook, Twitter and the Art Beat website.
8. Bring a friend or family member, to give you the ability to take a break when needed.
9. Only artists who paid for electricity will be permitted to have electricity at their booth. If you paid for electricity, you will need to bring your own extension cords and also duct tape to tape down the cords so they are not tripping hazards.
10. For lots more information on setup, pre-show prep, tips, tricks and more, check out Art Beat Blog Post #1, Art Beat Blog Post #2, Art Beat Blog Post #3, Art Beat Newsletter #1, Art Beat Newsletter #2, Art Beat Newsletter #3, and join the The Artists of Michiana...Unleashed! Facebook Group. Also, we will be hosting an Art Beat 2017 Artist Information and Resource Event on August 5 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the August Arts on Race event. Click here for more information.
2017 Artist Welcome Bags
Special thanks to the following downtown South Bend businesses who are providing some great coupons and swag items for this year's Artist Welcome Bags, which will be delivered by volunteers to each booth during the first few hours of the event:
1st Source Bank Performance Center
Morris Performing Arts Center
South Bend Brew Werks
South Bend Civic Theatre
Saint Joseph County Public Library
The General Deli & Cafe
The Music Village
Visit South Bend Mishwaka
In addition to providing items for the Artist Welcome Bags, downtown businesses are extending the following offers exclusively to Art Beat vendors:
Artists, bring your A-game to this year's Art Beat for a chance to win the following awards:
Best in Fine Arts
Best in Show
Best in Culinary Arts
Best Booth Display
TIPS ON PRE-SHOW MARKETING
Now is the best time to start inviting friends, family, and customers to find you at Art Beat! Here are a few tips to get you started:
1. Update your website with a link to the Art Beat Website.
2. Invite your friends and followers to the Facebook event page! Send invites, confirm your attendance, and share the event to your own page!
3. Post photos of your work on the event page and let attendees know what they can look forward to seeing! Feel free to link your own Facebook page or site to the event page as well.
4. Mail or hand out flyers, and place posters in your place of business. Make your own or stop by the DTSB office to pick some up.
5. Add Art Beat to your favorite community calendar.
6. Share on social media. See below for sample Facebook and Twitter posts.
Sample Social Media Posts
When creating a post, add a photo of your work and a link to the website for your followers to reference. You can include a secondary link to the event page as well. Be sure to add the hashtag - #dtsbArtBeat – so that your post will be searchable and grouped with other Art Beat mentions.
Here are a few examples of Art Beat posts for Facebook and Twitter:
- Visit me at my booth at Art Beat on Saturday, August 19th from 11 a.m. To 7 p.m.! #dtsbArtBeat
- I will be at Art Beat on Saturday, August 19th from 11 a.m. To 7 p.m.! Visit my booth for special Art Beat deals. #dtsbArtBeat
- Art Beat is a daylong celebration of the arts along the streets of downtown South Bend. Visit me at my booth to see my newest works of art. #dtsbArtBeat
Use your social media to educate your followers about the event and create excitement. Remember the more people that attend Art Beat the more exposure (and possible sales) for you!
2017 Art Beat Layout
2017 Art Beat Application Information
Applications are closed for this year's event, but try back next year!
1. Eligibility: Artists living in the following counties are eligible for participation: St. Joseph, Elkhart, LaPorte, Marshall and Starke counties in Indiana and Berrien and Cass counties in Michigan.
2. Application must be submitted before the deadline
3. Art work will be juried by volunteer members of the Art Beat Visual Arts Committee and acceptance notifications will be posted to artbeatsouthbend.org for each round. For more details on the jury process please see the Jury section below.
4. Artwork must be designed and executed by the accepted artist.
5. Artwork can be for sale. Artists should check local guidelines for collecting sales tax.
Each participating artist will be given a 10’x10’ booth space in one of the Art Beat Scenes. Artists can request more than one booth space, for an additional $10 fee per extra space. Artists are required to bring their own tents and tables. Artists must secure tents and display areas with sand bags or weights in case of windy conditions. Participants may pack up display area no earlier than 7 p.m. unless in the case of extreme weather conditions at which time Art Beat officials will notify participants. Failure to comply with these guidelines will have implications on future entry into event.
The cost for processing an Art Beat application is just $10. Payment is required to submit an application. This fee is non-refundable. Payment can be made online through credit cards. Upon acceptance, additional fees will be required if you choose any of the following: extra space ($10 per extra space), electricity ($20), scene selection ($10) and Fine Arts Showcase jury ($20).
Visual artists who register with ZAPP® can pay online through credit cards. All others will need to mail a check made out to Art Beat/DTSB and send it to:
Art Beat 2017
217 S. Michigan St.
South Bend, IN 46601
The final registration deadline has been extended to June 5. There will be a rolling application process this year, and a list of accepted artists will be posted on the Art Beat website May 1 (for applications received on or before April 25) and June 12 (for applications received on or before June 5.)
All applications must be submitted on or before the final deadline of June 5.
A jury will be conducted for all entries that are received. The jury is comprised of volunteer members of the Art Beat Visual Arts Committee, who rate each submission on a scale of 1-5 (5 being best). All 4-5s are considered accepted, 2-3s will be waitlisted and juried again with the second round of applications (no one will have to apply twice), 1’s will not be accepted.
DTSB depends on the jury selections to ensure the highest quality show each year and with the amount of applications on the rise, not all applicants will be accepted. Accepted applicants will be informed of their selection soon after the jury is completed. Applications will be processed as they are accepted. There will be a rolling application process this year, and a list of accepted artists will be posted on the Art Beat website May 1 (for applications received on or before April 25) and June 12 (for applications received on or before June 5.)
In case of severe weather, the event will be delayed 24 hours until Sunday, August 20th, 11:00 a.m. - 7 p.m. Event organizers will make this call by 5 a.m. on Saturday, August 19th and notify all participating artists by email as well as post information on the Art Beat website, and DTSB's Facebook and Twitter pages.
Art Beat organizers must receive notice of your inability to attend the event at least 4 weeks prior to the event so the space can be reassigned to another artist. Please note that application processing fees cannot be refunded. Extenuating circumstances will be reviewed by the Art Beat Committee.
BOOTH LOCATION POLICY
Due to the urban location of this festival, site layout may be modified from year to year. Upon acceptance to the event, artists will have the ability to choose their "Scene" location for a small additional fee of $10. If electricity is required by the artists, locations with electricity will be available for an additional fee of $10. Spaces will be given on a first come, first served basis. Space is limited and based on availability. Artists will not have the ability to choose a specific location within a Scene for this year's event.
Informational newsletters will be sent out to Art Beat applicants on a regular basis. Additionally, the Facebook group "The Artists of Michiana...Unleashed!" is a helpful resource for local artists to discuss Art Beat questions and receive tips from fellow veteran Art Beat participants. Also, be sure to check ArtBeatSouthBend.org for event updates and a list of accepted artists, which will be posted on May 1 and June 12.
New this year - in order to help field your questions, comments, and any issues in a more timely manner, a special email address has been set up that several members of the Art Beat committee have access to: ArtBeatDTSB@gmail.com.
FINE ARTS SHOWCASE
Upon acceptance into Art Beat, applicants will have the option to be juried into the Fine Arts Showcase portion of Art Beat for an additional $20 jury fee. If not accepted into the Fine Arts Showcase, participants may use this non-refundable fee to serve as payment for Scene Selection. Please indicate on the application if you wish to be considered for the Fine Arts Showcase. Deadline to purchase Fine Arts Showcase Jury Fee is Monday, June 19. Artists will be notified of their acceptance into the Fine Arts Showcase on or before Monday, June 26.
The South Bend Museum of Art is excited to bring a new addition to Art Beat 2017 with KID BEAT! KID BEAT! is an area of Art Beat dedicated to art, activities, and organizations that cater to our young visitors. It will include activities such as:
- Young artists selling their work
- A selfie gallery wall: kids can place artwork they create into a frame on a mobile gallery wall and take a selfie
- Free sidewalk chalk, painting, mixed media sculpture activities
- Story time in the Rotunda for the little ones
- Live DJ
- And much more!
You can participate in KID BEAT!
- if you are a young artist up to age 18 (register through Zapplication here, and indicate KID BEAT! when you register)
- an artist with items that cater to youth (register through Zapplication here, and indicate KID BEAT! when you register)
- or an organization who has programming to share with youth (register with our nonprofit application here and indicate KID BEAT! when you register)
We encourage participants to bring an activity, demonstration or item to share with guests to make their experience over the top!
Spaces are limited and are 10 x 10 unless a proposed activity requires a larger space. To apply please indicate your interest in KID BEAT your application form, using the links above. Participants will be selected based on their artwork and/or activity.