EBV History

The East Bank Village area retains much of its natural beauty due to the fore sight of George Kessler, a nationally known, early 20th century landscape architect. His plan for South Bend envisioned tree- lined boulevards, open access to the St. Joseph River and a system of parks, including Howard Park. The East Bank Village strives to preserve and enhance the Kessler Plan. 

Stroll through the beautiful East Bank Village and enjoy the historic architecture. 
 
Commerce Building, 1911
401 E. Colfax Ave. 
Recently purchased by Matthews, LLC and
plans are in motion for redevelopment. 
 
Stephenson Mills Apartments, 1916
322 E. Colfax Ave. 
Originally Stephenson Woolen Mills.  
Now home to urban lofts.
 
Probst House, 1880
520 E. Colfax Ave.
Home to Inspire Me!
 
Charles McCormick Building, 1904
528 E. Colfax Ave. 
Home to Circa Arts Gallery,
Junk Evolution, and 2 apartments.
 
East Bank Emporium Building, 1911-1916
121 Niles Ave. 
Home to The Creperie, Suite 11, The Emporium Restaurant,
Dancehipology, and Studio C Salon. 
 

A Single Rose Florist
118 S. Hill St.
A locally owned flower shop
 

Erasmus Books
1027 E. Wayne St.
Locally owned bookstore 

 
 

 
 
** DID YOU KNOW? **
There are 13 bridges connecting the East Bank Village to the
west side of the river, with the oldest dating back to 1901. Take
an afternoon stroll along the river to check out the bridges. 
 
 
Firehouse #3, 1892
219 N. Hill St. 
Home to Glenda Lamont, CPA and a private resident.
 
Crepeau, 1892
307 N. Hill St.
Home to Luck of the Irish Trophies.
 
The Zion United Church of Christ, 1888
715 E. Wayne St.
Home to fabulous stained glass, including one from the Chicago World Fair.

Singer Mfg./South Bend Lathe Building, 1870-1947
501 N. Niles Ave.
Home to senior citizen housing.
 
Just Goods
714 E. Jefferson Blvd.
A boutique shop that offers clothes, edibles, fair trade, decor, and more
 
Buttons and Bows
712 E. Jefferson Blvd. 
Children's Clothing Store
 
The Beehive
706 E. Jefferson Blvd. 
Locally owned hair salon