December 1st - 24th
Located inside the South Bend Museum of Art
Deadline for entries is Monday, November 27, 2017. Now is the time to begin planning your project. Design a one-of-a-kind gingerbread house or novelty item. Don’t have a lot of time? Then use a gingerbread house kit. Create something on your own or gather your family, friends, or a favorite group or club together to create an original piece.
Entries are to be dropped off, fully assembled, to the South Bend Museum of Art Nov. 29 from 5 pm to 6 pm and Nov. 30 from noon to 1 pm.
The South Bend Museum of Art is located in the Century Center at 120 S. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Participants may park in the circle drive and use the museum’s main entrance under the green circle with the word “art” in it.
Judging will take place on December 17 at 2 p.m. with the award ceremony at 3 p.m. Entries will be judged on originality, design, craftsmanship, degree of difficulty, and overall appearance. Prizes will be awarded in four categories:
- Non-Professional Child (18 and under)
- Non-Professional (Individual, Family, or Group)
- Professional (Individual or Group)
- People's Choice
- Eligibility: Residents of St. Joseph, Marshall, LaPorte & Elkhart Counties in Indiana and Berrien, Cass and St. Joseph Counties in Michigan.
- Only one creation per entry form.
- Base measurements of houses not to exceed 36” x 28”.
- Multiple entries (each with own form) may be submitted by a group or individual.
- Competition and Project Categories must be chosen and marked on entry form.
- No artificial materials may be used in the construction.
- All entries must be made of gingerbread; other edible items can be used as decoration/trim.
- Heavy Styrofoam or covered plywood bases are recommended for stability.
- Be creative! Non-traditional designs are welcome.
- Entries that fall apart will be removed from the display area.
- Contestants will be able to pick up their entries December 24, 12-4 p.m., or December 27 12-4 p.m. If these times do not work, email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange for an alternate pick-up time. Any entry still remaining after December 27 at 4 p.m. will be thrown away.
Apply online below, or download the entry form by clicking here. Paper entry forms are also available at the DTSB offices (address listed below.) Entries must be received by Monday, November 27, 2017. Mail or email entries to:
Downtown South Bend, Inc. (DTSB)
Gingerbread Village Competition
217 S. Michigan St.
South Bend, IN 46601