Art Beat 2018 - Date Set for August 18 - 8.18.18!
Saturday, August 18, 2018 | 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. | Michigan St. in downtown South Bend
For one day the streets and sidewalks of downtown South Bend become a living gallery as artists, dancers, musicians, actors, poets and culinary artists display their talents for the community. Art Beat represents an opportunity for artists, merchants and community to meet in an atmosphere of celebration and camaraderie to enjoy richly diverse performances, displays and retail experiences.
Art Beat 2018 will be held on Saturday, August 18 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. primarily along Michigan Street in the heart of downtown South Bend. Art Beat "Scenes" or areas of concentrated activity (performances & vendors) will be located throughout downtown.
Applications are now closed for Art Beat 2018. Check back in February 2019 for next year's event.
2018 Art Beat Layout
2018 SETUP AND LOGISTICS INFO FOR ARTISTS
Please read carefully to ensure a safe and smooth set-up and tear-down. Please note: due to construction, Colfax will also be closed between Main St. and Michigan St.
Note- event officials will be monitoring setup and teardown. Participants who disregard stated procedures or fail to show without notice will risk not being allowed to participate in future Art Beat events.
2. Setup times will be staggered between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. based on booth numbers.
- Even Number booths may come at 8 a.m to set up
- Odd Number booths may come at 9 a.m. to set up
- A special "Early Bird Setup" will begin at 7 a.m. for anyone who feels they need more than 3 hours to get their booth just right (no registration required for Early Bird Setup)
- Fine Arts Showcase participants (with lettered booth numbers) may come anytime between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. to setup.
- If an artist has not arrived to set up their booth by 10:00 a.m. we will allow artists from end booths to fill in their place so that we do not have gaps in the festival.
3. We will have strict road closure policies in place before and after the event to ensure for the safety of eventgoers. All cars must be removed from the event by 10:30 a.m., and no cars will be allowed to re-enter until 7:30 p.m. Plastic barrier walls will be set in place early in the morning leaving a 10 ft. emergency vehicle gap, which will be closed by an official vehicle (either a DTSB truck or police vehicle) at 10:30 a.m., and then removed for re-entry at 7:30 p.m. It is this gap that artists will use to get into the event during setup and teardown times.
4. Michigan Street will be one-way on the day of Art Beat - going north only - to help ease traffic congestion.
5. Artists are NOT allowed to leave their vehicle by their booth during setup and teardown.
6. The required set-up procedure is as follows:
a. Find your booth location (booths are located in downtown parking spots.)
b. Park your vehicle in your booth spot.
c. Unload everything onto the sidewalk at your booth location.
d. Park your vehicle in one of the nearby parking garages, which are free on weekends. Click here for a downtown parking map and more info. (NOTE – this is where having a booth helper is extremely important – to move and park your vehicle or to watch your items while you park; and also to help you set up your booth.)
e. Set up your booth in the street within the boundaries marked on the curb at the location assigned to you.
f. All vehicles need to be removed from the streets of the event space prior to 10:30 a.m.
g. Set-up needs to be completed by 10:45 a.m
7. Teardown Proceures: Early tear-down is not permitted, in order to ensure a consistent experience for visitors. Participants may not begin tear-down until 7 p.m. unless otherwise indicated by event staff (such as in the event of a weather emergency.) Tear-down will executed in the reverse order of set-up:
a. Participants need to have their booth items packed away and their tent disassembled, with all items on the sidewalk by their booth BEFORE retrieving their vehicle.
b. No vehicles will be permitted in the event space prior to 7:30 p.m. to ensure the safety of our guests.
c. Once a participant's items are out of the booth space and packed on the sidewalk, vehicles can then be retrieved, and should follow the established one-way traffic rules.
d. Participants need to park in their booth space, and then load their items.
e. Depart using the same one-way traffic rules.
8. Artists are responsible for their own tables, chairs, tents, and tent weights. You are encouraged to bring a canopy or tent. A 10x10 canopy can be purchased at sporting goods or large stores (Prices range from $75 - $125).
7. In case of inclement weather, the event will be delayed 24 hours until Sunday, August 19th, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. Event organizers will make the call by 9 a.m. Friday, August 17th and notify participants by email, Facebook, Twitter and the Art Beat website.
9. Bring a friend or family member, to give you the ability to take a break when needed, and to help you with set-up and tear-down.
9. Only artists who paid for electricity will be permitted to have electricity at their booth. If you paid for electricity, you will need to bring your own extension cords and also tape to secure the cords so they are not tripping hazards.
10. For lots more information on setup, pre-show prep, tips, tricks and more, check out these blog posts from 2017, which are still relevant for this year (except for the dates...) Art Beat Blog Post #1, Art Beat Blog Post #2, Art Beat Blog Post #3. We also encourage you to join the The Artists of Michiana...Unleashed! Facebook Group - a helpful resource for local artists to discuss Art Beat questions and receive tips from fellow veteran Art Beat participants.
2018 Artist Welcome Bags
Special thanks to the following downtown South Bend businesses who are providing some great coupons and swag items for this year's Artist Welcome Bags, which will be delivered by volunteers to each booth during the first few hours of the event:
Morris Performing Arts Center
Purple Porch Co-op
South Bend Brew Werks
South Bend Civic Theatre
Saint Joseph County Public Library
The Brain Lair
Venues Parks & Arts
Visit South Bend Mishwaka