Art Beat 2018 - Date Set for August 18 - 8.18.18!
Saturday, August 18, 2018 | 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. | Michigan St. in downtown South Bend
For one day the streets and sidewalks of downtown South Bend become a living gallery as artists, dancers, musicians, actors, poets and culinary artists display their talents for the community. Art Beat represents an opportunity for artists, merchants and community to meet in an atmosphere of celebration and camaraderie to enjoy richly diverse performances, displays and retail experiences.
Art Beat 2018 will be held on Saturday, August 18 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. primarily along Michigan Street in the heart of downtown South Bend. Art Beat "Scenes" or areas of concentrated activity (performances & vendors) will be located throughout downtown.
2018 Applications are Now Open!
Art Beat 2018 is currently accepting applications for visual artists, culinary artists, and performing artists living in the following counties: St. Joseph, Elkhart, LaPorte, Marshall and Starke counties in Indiana and Berrien and Cass counties in Michigan.
Visual Artists - Click here to apply using ZAPP®
A NOTE ABOUT ZAPP
We are using ZAPP® to register all visual artists. ZAPP® Is a free program that enables visual artists to apply online to art shows through the website ZAPPlication.org. The online application process also allows artists to directly upload digital images of their artwork for jury review. The result is that all artwork in the system is in a consistent, high-quality, digital format. The digital images are presented to the jurors of each show and the system allows them to score online. All images and personal information are kept secure and confidential.
**Please make sure you upload images to your ZAPP User Profile Portfolio BEFORE filling out the Art Beat application***
In the middle of the application process you will be asked to upload images. The application only accepts images in your Portfolio in your user profile. It will not let you upload them from your computer, and you will not be able to complete the form. Click on the link above to go to ZAPP. Log in at the top of the screen with your Username and Password (if you are new to ZAPP®, create your profile) , and make sure you have at least 4 images uploaded to your Portfolio.
Performing Artists - Click here to apply using Google Forms
Culinary Artists - Click here to apply using Google Forms
Nonprofits - Click here to apply using Google Forms
Fashion Artists - Click here to apply to this year's Fashion Show using Google Forms
Information and Regulations
We have drafted specific sets of instructions and regulations for each set of applicants this year. These are all included in the applications, but can be referenced below as well.
Congratulations to the 2017 Artist Award Recipients!
Best Booth Display - Sarah Dolezal Best in Show - Mei Mei Lam
Most Spirited - Melina Sapiano Best in Fine Arts - James Miller
Best in Culinary Arts - Purple Porch Co-op Best Newcomer - Melissa Milbourn
2017 SETUP AND LOGISTICS INFO FOR ARTISTS
2. Set up times will be staggered between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. based on booth numbers. Odd Number booths may come at 8 a.m to set up, Even Number booths may come at 9 a.m. to set up, and at 7 a.m. we will have a special "Early Bird Setup" for anyone who feels they need more than 3 hours to get their booth just right. Fine Arts Showcase participants (with lettered booth numbers) may come anytime between 7 a.m. and 9 a.m. to setup.
3. We ask that all booths be set up and ready by 10:30 a.m. and cars be removed from the streets by that time as well. (Note: if an artist has not arrived to set up their booth by 10:15 we will allow artists from end booths to fill in their place so that we do not have gaps in the festival.)
4. Michigan Street will be one-way on the day of Art Beat - going north only - to help ease traffic congestion. Artists are NOT allowed to leave their vehicle by their booth during setup and teardown. For setup, cars should be parked right after being unloaded, and then booth setup may occur. For teardown, booths must be all packed up before cars are retrieved. No cars are allowed to remain by booths any longer than is needed for loading or unloading of items!
5. We expect all artists to remain open until the end of the event. This gives all visitors a consistent experience, while you receive the most exposure possible. No cars will be allowed into the event prior to 7 p.m. to ensure the safety of our guests.
6. Artists are responsible for their own tables, chairs, and tents. You are encouraged to bring a canopy or tent. A 10x10 canopy can be purchased at sporting goods or large stores (Prices range from $75 - $125).
7. In case of inclement weather, the event will be delayed 24 hours until Sunday, August 20th, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m. Event organizers will make the call by 5am Saturday, August 19 and notify participants by email, Facebook, Twitter and the Art Beat website.
8. Bring a friend or family member, to give you the ability to take a break when needed.
9. Only artists who paid for electricity will be permitted to have electricity at their booth. If you paid for electricity, you will need to bring your own extension cords and also duct tape to tape down the cords so they are not tripping hazards.
10. For lots more information on setup, pre-show prep, tips, tricks and more, check out Art Beat Blog Post #1, Art Beat Blog Post #2, Art Beat Blog Post #3, Art Beat Newsletter #1, Art Beat Newsletter #2, Art Beat Newsletter #3, and join the The Artists of Michiana...Unleashed! Facebook Group. Also, we will be hosting an Art Beat 2017 Artist Information and Resource Event on August 5 from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the August Arts on Race event. Click here for more information.
2017 Artist Welcome Bags
Special thanks to the following downtown South Bend businesses who are providing some great coupons and swag items for this year's Artist Welcome Bags, which will be delivered by volunteers to each booth during the first few hours of the event:
1st Source Bank Performance Center
Morris Performing Arts Center
South Bend Brew Werks
South Bend Civic Theatre
Saint Joseph County Public Library
The General Deli & Cafe
The Music Village
Visit South Bend Mishwaka
In addition to providing items for the Artist Welcome Bags, downtown businesses are extending the following offers exclusively to Art Beat vendors: